Thursday, April 25, 2013

Can not bowl except for gutters!!!

Can not bowl except for gutters!!!
Great idea


These are the supplies you need.
Old bowling ball
... Alcohol
Plaster of Paris
Pieces to decoupage (wallpaper samples, fabric, stickers, etc)
Outdoor polyurethane

Step #1 Use the alcohol to clean the bowling ball. The alcohol cleans all of the oils from the bowling alley.

Step #2 Mix up a small portion of the plaster of paris, and pour into ONLY the finger holes. Be sure to leave the thumb hole clear.

Step #3 Let the plaster of paris dry for several hours, I let mine dry overnight. Neatness does NOT count in this step.

Step #4 Use a knife or similar item to scrape off excess dried plaster, then wipe it down with water.

Step #5 You are now ready to begin decorating your gazing ball.

Step # 6 Use a marker to color in anything on the ball. If you look closely you can see that I colored over the stars and one of the finger holes. I of course colored the other one after this picture was taken.

Step # 7 Start applying your appliques. On this gazing ball, I used a Tatouage rub-on. I have also used them on a floor cloth and on a headboard bench.

It is fairly simple to do the Tatouage. You simply lay it on your gazing ball, and rub it on.

I bought these butterfly stickers at our local Dollar Tree Store.

I thought the orange butterflies looked really nice with the color of these flowers.

Step # 8 During step # 2 I told you to leave the thumb hole clear of plaster. This is why! Suspend your gazing ball on a dowel rod of some sort. I picked up this rod at my local Habitat for Humanity Re-store for 50 cents. Apply the outdoor polyurethane with a natural bristle brush. I buy mine at walmart for about 88 cents, they have a wooden handle and very short bristles.

I apply my poly with an up and down motion, trying not to let the poly “puddle” near the bottom thumb hole. I apply at least 4 coats of the outdoor poly. How many coats you need to apply depends on what decoupage medium you use, wallpaper is a little thick, so it usually takes more coats. This Tatouage is very thin, and I could probably have gotten away with 3 coats.

In this picture I have the new gazing ball displayed in my flower bed with my cute little cherub gazing right into it!

If you look closely you can see the reflection of the tree. These truly are gazing balls. You can use a variety of “holders” for your gazing balls. I pick them up at thrift stores all the time for 1-2 dollars each.

I have this blue gazing ball in my flower bed. It has been there for over a year. I do recommend giving your gazing ball shelter during the winter months. I brought mine up on the porch last winter. It’s probably a good thing that I did because we had that nasty ice storm.

Have fun with this project! They make great gifts, especially if you have someone who no longer bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment